Voice of God, Voice of Truth



While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, 
and a voice from the cloud said, 
"This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. 
Listen to him!" 
Matthew 17:5 NIV

Girlfriends, somehow many days have passed since my restorative retreat in Indiana. Returning to the chaotic busyness of home while brimming with insight and ideas, I longed to write to you immediately but had to suppress that cry and attend to household duties. Oh energy and awareness, we have only just returned and already you elude me!

How was your past weekend? Even if you did not physically travel, did you have time to review your spiritual map as I suggested in my last blog? I am anxious to hear your reflections. Sharing our life stories is powerful as I rediscovered during this recent sojourn. Listening to another woman weave her way along a path which traverses both peaks and valleys provides opportunity for connection, affirmation, and also fresh insight into our own walk. Indeed, "listen" and "story" were my take-away words from this weekend trip. Yet, upon returning home, I discovered I could not hear nor reflect upon the important "stories" because of all the noise.

Ladies, many voices are calling us to listen. Spouses, children, relatives, friends, co-workers, bosses, teachers, tv personalities, politicians...a cacophony of sound flows into our eardrums daily. We must pray for discernment and wisdom, asking God for clarity and concentration upon the important and life-giving words and for deafness and obliteration of the meaningless and life-sucking utterances. Choose wisely what you take to heart from the stories you hear.

He who has ears, let him hear. 
Matthew 11:15

Even in Jesus's day, a sea of voices called out to the people. Accusing and name-calling, slandering and demeaning, both John the Baptist and Jesus himself were targets as we read in the Matthew 11: 18-19:

For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”

Ladies, we must drown out the lies and the crucifying conversation in order to focus upon the blessed, glorifying, and positive conversation of each day. Listen with ears that seek the truth.

The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.
John 10: 3-4 

God speaks to us in many ways. In quiet stillness, such as during meditation or walking the peaceful acres of land at the retreat center, His voice is elevated and unimpeded.  But in the boisterous and complicated every day moments of life, His voice is inaudible or unrecognizable to my worldly attuned ears. Jesus, my Shepherd, speaks to me, His sheep. If I choose to listen, I will learn to recognize His voice as He leads me. In time, I will distinguish His voice from among the multitudes. I will hear His Story spoken to me, preparing me for my own story and paving the way to intersect with others.

So what do you think, ladies? Is it time we got God on our ipod? And computer? And cell phone? And television? And magazine racks, bookshelves, and Kindles? If we do not spend time with Him, surround ourselves with His Presence, how else will we recognize His voice? Think of this next time you answer the phone and immediately know with whom you speak by the sound of the voice. Think about your favorite musical artist and how repeatedly listening to his/her music elicits an "Oh I love this song" as soon as your hear the singing. God is asking you to be in a special relationship with Him, distinguishing His voice above all others. How will you respond?

I pray today that you will listen to the Voice of Truth....He has a story to tell you that is greater than any other you will ever hear. His story includes your story. Your story is woven together with others' stories. Listen....listen and hear...God is speaking to YOU. Turn up the volume!

The voice of the Lord is over the waters;
the God of glory thunders,
the Lord thunders over the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is powerful;
the voice of the Lord is majestic.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars;
the Lord breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon.
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,
Sirion like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord strikes
with flashes of lightning.
The voice of the Lord shakes the desert;
the Lord shakes the Desert of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord twists the oaks
and strips the forests bare.
And in his temple all cry, “Glory!” 

Psalm 29: 3-9

Please go to Song of the Day-- I hope you enjoy Casting Crowns, The Voice of Truth. 
Love to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment