Guilty

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
Romans 8:1
 
Guilty

Is anyone else feeling guilty today, Girlfriends?
This weather is amazing for early March; so much for "in like a lion and out like a lamb."
Because the sun is shining and the air is nearly 80 degrees, my to-do list goes untouched so I can bask in the sun, reading and relaxing.
Guilty.
I am guilty of succumbing to spring fever!

More Guilt 

I recently read a quote by John MacArthur that said, "Spiritual life without guilt would be like physical life without pain. Guilt is a defense mechanism; it's like an alarm that goes off to lead you to confession when you sin." I never thought about guilt in the same sense that I think about pain, as a warning sign that something is wrong in the body. Somehow, I think I am more accepting of pain than I am of guilt.

Actually yesterday, after visiting the doctor, I wrote about pain. I guess we all expect to feel physical affliction at some time or another. But what about guilt? I think I would rather live with pain than guilt. Pain, I can attribute to something outside of my control but guilt, well, that one is all me. If I feel guilt, I have committed some trespass, either legally, morally, or spiritually, and the weight of the iniquity is causing me emotional pain.

I do not complete my chores; I feel guilt.
I commit to healthy eating. I eat a piece of chocolate; I feel guilt.
I plan to save for a vacation. I buy a new book; I feel guilt.

As MacArthur's words say, this guilt is an alarm going off, warning me that I am not meeting the goals I set for myself. But what about the more serious guilt we feel in life? What warning does it give about sin?

The Guilt That Destroys

My high school FCA group watched a clip from The Lion King today. In the movie, Simba believes he is responsible for his father's death. As a result of the guilt, he ran away from his kingdom and befriended two unlikely critters of the wild whose motto is "hakuna matata"--No Worries. They surely are feeling no shame for anything! But the monkey, Rafiki, finds Simba and directs him to the pool of water, where Simba sees His Father in his reflection. Mufasa speaks to Simba: "You have forgotten who you are and so have forgotten me. Look inside yourself, Simba. You are more than what you have become." Simba is reminded that despite his guilt, he has a responsibility to his kingdom to which he then returns.

Well, of course, we all know that Simba is truly innocent in the death of his father.Yet, that perceived liability paralyzed him from fulfilling his duties for many years. So many years, actually, that his entire kingdom almost perished. Had he minded the internal alarm, the suffering of many could have been avoided.

How many of you are like Simba today? Whether the guilt you feel is justified or not, you have allowed the weight of your weakest moments to control you for long time periods. You are ignoring the bells and whistles that are going off inside you? Or, are you more like Pumba and Timon, just living with "no worries," ignoring both the offense and the guilt? Either way, as with Simba, chances are your choices have drastically affected your family and loved ones.

God Forgives

Yes, Girlfriends, guilt is a warning sign. That feeling tells you something is amiss and needs correction. As hard as we try, we are going to make mistakes and be convicted. The Bible even tells us in Romans 3:23 that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. However, the Good News is that guilt does not have to rule us or ruin our families. Why? Because like Mufasa in the movie, our God lives. He is alive inside each one of us, and He is a God of mercy and forgiveness. He washes us white as snow. Our sins are sent to the bottom of the ocean floor. And you need to let your guilt go there along with them.

It is true, we may have consequences to face and penalties to pay here on earth for our transgressions. But do not live under the burden of guilt. Jesus died to declare you pardoned and free, if you come to Him in repentance and faith. Live in that freedom, Girlfriends.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:8-9

We should not continue to exist in worried frustration over the situation that initiated the guilt. Likewise, we cannot bury it and pretend nothing is wrong. Bring it to Your Father who lives! He loves you, wants to hear from you, and can help you.

Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord... Acts 3:19

I pray today you release the guilt: no minimizing, no rationalizing, no compromising, no criticizing, no chastising, no agonizing. Only apologizing and realizing, YOU ARE FORGIVEN! Now forgive yourself and go forward!

Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance. Luke 15:7








No comments:

Post a Comment