Choose Love: Celebrating in the Midst of Tragedy

See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil. 
 If you obey the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you today,
 by loving the Lord your God, by walking in his ways,
 and by keeping his commandments and his statutes and his rules,  
then you shall live and multiply, and the Lord your God 
will bless you in the land that you are entering 
to take possession of it. 
But if your heart turns away, and you will not hear, 
but are drawn away to worship other gods and serve them, 
I declare to you today, that you shall surely perish. 
You shall not live long in the land 
that you are going over the Jordan to enter and possess. 
 I call heaven and earth to witness against you today,
 that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. 
Therefore choose life, 
that you and your offspring may live, 
loving the Lord your God,
 obeying his voice and holding fast to him,
 for he is your life and length of days, 
that you may dwell in the land 
that the Lord swore to your fathers,
 to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.” 
Deuteronomy 30:15-20

Good Monday morning, Girlfriends!

Awaking this morning, I felt compelled to write to you. I bear a heavy heart burdened by sorrow for the victims, the families, and the community of the Newtown shootings. As a child of God and a follower of Christ, my heart broke, and I knew once again God's was also breaking, when I heard the news of the shooting rampage. As a mother of four children, I could not fathom the depths of pain and agony felt by the parents of both the adults and the children murdered. My gut reaction, I am sure shared by many others, was to gather my flock in my home and hold them safely under my wings. Letting them fly has been the most difficult task for me, but in moments like this one, even more so. 

While reading and listening to the news reports, I have followed this unfolding tragedy. Many thoughts raced through my mind and even more emotions through my heart and soul. I watched the community of Newtown turn to the local church leaders and to their faith to express grief and anguish. I am sure many asked how a loving God could allow this to happen? I know that question crossed my mind as well. Years ago, I would not have had an explanation. This week, I am grateful that I am solid on the rock of my faith, in my belief in the goodness of our God in heaven, and the knowledge that evil exists in this world. I know that God is ultimately in control and has defeated death when He died on a cross and rose again. In the end, Satan will no longer exist; however, until the time when Christ comes again, we have to live in a world stained with sin, haunted by Satan, who seeks to destroy. His method is to take advantage of God's great gift to man: free will.

He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:11

Girlfriends, God created us out of love, so that we too could love. Yet, in His infinite wisdom, He knew that in order for love to be genuine, He also had to give us the gift of choice. (Think of all of the people who love you: Would you feel that same sense of warmth and security if you knew that each and every one of them was programmed and ordered to love you and were not loving you by their own choice?) As written in today's key verses, God granted us free will to choose to love, or to turn away from love and choose our own way. And that, ladies, is the answer to the question how a good and merciful God could allow this Newtown tragedy to occur. God gifted that man with life and the opportunity to love, and that man chose by his own will to follow the ways of Satan and of this world. He chose to murder.

Today, I read an ABC News report that contained the following: "Some residents of Newtown, a picturesque New England community, began taking down Christmas decorations in the wake of the slayings." I am extraordinarily saddened if this report is true. I wish I had a way to reach each one of those people and encourage them to leave the decorations in place. Why? Because to take them down is to further encourage Satan and his legions.

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.  1 Peter 5:8

Precisely what Satan desires is for the world to NOT acknowledge and celebrate the Savior Christ. Ladies, now more than ever, we need to lift up the Lord on high. We already have groups like Freedom From Religion Foundation in Wisconsin who search for citizens who are publicly acknowledging Christ. Then this group files lawsuits to prevent expression and recognition of faith. And unfortunately, America has been caving in to them. Manger scenes are dismantled; the Ten Commandments and the name God are deleted and removed from view; crosses are torn off sports uniforms or covered with drapes during graduation ceremonies; prayer is banned. The list of ways we have dishonored God in this nation is endless and shameful. So I wonder why then do the grieving yet believeing residents of Newtown willingly choose to take down their decorations? Leave them up, people! Celebrate in the middle of your crisis because your God is on His throne in heaven, and He has not and will not abandon you.

Girlfriends, death is distressing and dreadful. Murder is ghastly and horrific. Because we love, our hearts will grieve, will be broken and afflicted. Yet, because of the love of God, we will not mourn forever. Restoration came on that Christmas Day and is coming again to finish His work. That promise is worthy of celebration, even in the midst of tragedy. So decorate your homes, your yards, your workplace, your schools, and display the love of Christ for all to see, hear, and know. You have the gift of choice: Deny Satan his satisfaction. Choose LOVE. CELEBRATE the CHRIST in Christmas.

Glory, praise, and honor to you, Almighty God, forever and ever. AMEN.

For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe. 1 Timothy 4:10

1 comment:

  1. Satan took all 27 lives here on earth, but he DOES NOT have their souls. Jesus has them now. Every single one of those spirits are alive and well right now in His heavenly kingdom. Amen.

    ReplyDelete