Contrast


Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. Luke 12:27 NLT

Look at the lilies, Girlfriends! God instructs us to look at the flowers. And then He reminds us they are not just any old flowers but flowers that He has personally decorated and dressed in greater splendor than all the man-made adornments of the great kings like Solomon. Have you noticed these flowers?

Due to the most marvelous warm winter weather here in the Midwest, the flowers and trees are bursting forth with buds and blossoms over a month early this year. The unexpected unfolding of the season has everyone talking, but I noticed this morning that it also has me more attentively listening and looking. 

I marvel at each bush, branch, and blossom as I stroll in the cool of the morning. Incredibly, I have not been wearing headphones but rather opt to walk in enjoyment and awe of nature's chorus. After months bereft of sound, the chirping, tweeting, and trilling of the birds is poetic music to my ears. Likewise, each colorful bloom catches my attention, standing in stark contrast to the dead, brown dreariness of winter's slumber.
I think what strikes me the most this time of the year is the contrast: the old vs new; death vs rebirth; dullness vs vibrancy; silence vs noise; warmth vs frigidity.

Today I pondered: Why am I strolling the neighborhood in such joy and amazement, stopping to gaze at a bush or a tree that in two months will not even be on my radar? As much as I loathe the cold, dark months of a Chicago winter, I realized that I am blessed. Blessed because without that disparity, I am convinced my appreciation of the appearance of spring would be greatly diminished if not entirely eradicated. I enjoy what I have because I so recently had not.

Ah, I wonder to myself, is that true across the board? Am I thankful for financial security because I know what it is like to search under sofa cushions hoping to locate enough change to buy formula for the baby? Am I grateful that as a mom I can stay home and raise my children because I know the ache of missing many "firsts" that occurred with the babysitter while I was away working two jobs to make ends meet? Do I thank my husband every day for a wonderful marriage because I know the grief and heart-wrenching ache of marital desertion, neglect, and abuse? Do I praise God for reaching down and pulling me out of the muck and mire in which I resided because I know the loneliness, fear, and hopelessness of living an unsaved life void of a relationship with Him? What about you, sisters? What do you have that you once had not, and are you appreciative?

Girlfriends, God is remarkably adept at pointing out contrast. He is after all the author and creator of it. In our key verse today, Jesus is admonishing His disciples not to worry. Look at the lilies, He says. They grow. They are beautiful. In the next verse, Jesus says, "And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?" Here today, in the fire tomorrow....yet God clothes the flowers and cares for them fondly through the icy cold term of winter until they rise again in majestic splendor. How much more must He treasure us? Will He not guard and nurture us through our bleak, bitter seasons of life? Worry not, Jesus says. We are God's perennial people!

Ladies, I pray today that you will obey God and take time to look at the flowers. And the trees. And the bushes. And listen to the chirping birds and chattering children outside playing in the sunshine. I also pray that you will arise and give glory to Him who guides and guards you through the difficult seasons of life. Be grateful for those bleak and barren days because by their contrast you are aware of the radiant and resplendent times. Whether you live in Alaska, Illinois, or Florida, please cherish every blessing of the Lord, for we are here today and gone tomorrow. Yet, just as Jesus raised Lazarus from death, and as He himself was also later resurrected from the grave, God will usher you into new life as well. (John 11:41-44; Matthew 27;1 Corinthians 15:21-22)

Do not forget His faithfulness when you have (or had) not. The Good News of Jesus Christ is that our eternal future contains "having" versus "have nots" and "belonging" versus "rejection."  

 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. Galatians 3:26-29

Girlfriends, God loves flowers, but He loves YOU more than anything. He wants you in His eternal garden, dressed in splendor and radiant beauty, with Him forever. I pray you will open your hearts, admit your sin, ask for and accept forgiveness, and experience the saving grace of our Father. Compared to your old life, you will be born again into a wonderful, regenerated and renewed existence. What a contrast, what a wonderful God!

Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”
"How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!” Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again. John 3:3-7




No comments:

Post a Comment