My Friend, Jill

We give You glory,
Lifting up our hands and singing holy,
You alone are worthy
We just want to touch Your heart, Lord, touch Your heart
Glory, lifting up our voice and singing holy,
You alone are worthy
We just want to touch Your heart, Lord, touch Your heart
~Jeremy Camp, Give You Glory

Hello, Girlfriends!

I did not plan to write on the weekend, but here I am! I found myself wide awake at 6:30 am. No big deal except IT'S SATURDAY! Arrr! My alarm was set for eight; alas, I turned it off and enjoyed the sunrise over the icy treetops. Now, here I am, preparing to share with you the first thoughts that swam through my brain when I opened my eyes so bright and early today.

"Jill looked so happy, relaxed, and joyful last night. But then again, she is always joyful when I see her." Yep, I was thinking about my friend, who happens to be my pastor's wife, at 6:30 am. (It's ok, Jill, I forgive you for not letting me sleep in this weekend!) If I have not already, I am going to totally embarrass her by telling you why thinking about Jill, and women like her, is not as creepy and weird as my teen-agers would have me think. 

Because of Jill, I attended the Francesca Batistelli/Jeremy Camp concert last night. Another lady from our church was organizing the night out. Jill informed with me and others of the opportunity, as she always does. Key words: as she always does. I notice every time I am around her, Jill is pouring into others. She is a treasure-trove of information, not only about the church happenings but also of events in the community. Her excitement and enthusiasm  for us, her "girls," bubbles over every time she speaks. I can feel the depth of her caring in routine moments such as sharing upcoming activities and events. Simple acts of love flow from her. 

Jill amazes me. When I consider everything she does, my desire is to fill my tank at the same fuel station she uses. Her energy level is unreal. I have only known Jill for three years, and honestly see only a fraction of her labors in and out of the church. Yet, what I do know, I am sure exemplifies the entire story. 

First and foremost, this incredible woman loves her Lord and Savior. Regular time alone with Him is part of her schedule. I especially love that she and Jesus meet at McDonalds for alone time! When she is well fed, and I don't mean Egg McMuffins, pouring into others comes naturally. What an example to follow.

Secondly, Jill is a wife--and a pastor's wife nonetheless. A model pastor's wife, if I ever saw one. Evidence of love and commitment to her husband spills out nearly every Sunday in the sermons Pastor Jim speaks. Endearing to us in the church are his personal stories. I especially love the ones that include Jill, not only because Pastor Jim smiles or laughs and softens a bit when he says her name, but also because his examples illustrate a loving and supportive wife and mother. 

As a pastor's wife, Jill's duties are many, yet she cheerfully embraces each one. Her smiling face greets us on Sundays, whether she is helping out in the children's area (or wherever needed) or sitting in church silently encouraging her husband. However, Sunday is only the beginning (or the end) of Jill's week. Her schedule includes dining dates with church or community members (and friends); visits to homes, hospitals, and hospice-tendered bedsides; planning, shopping, and preparing food to feed staff, visitors, and church volunteers; cleaning and maintaining her home for unexpected visitors or luncheons for small group leaders; planning and leading a women's weekly Bible study; and more than I can even begin to imagine. 

On top of everything I have stated, Jill works individually with mandated and/or volunteer community service projects. Freely giving of her precious time, Jill works around the individual's schedule, and may I say, frequently suffers last minute cancellations and no-shows. Her gift for listening is invaluable during these projects. I can only imagine the lives she has touched by simply laboring side by side and taking an interest in someone who feels the world has given up and forgotten them. I envision the love of Jesus literally filling the room in which they are working. 

I am blessed to facilitate a small group on Wednesday nights at church, and I am sure you will not be surprised to hear that Jill is a participant in this CORE class. Wow! A pastor's wife who hungers and thirsts for the Word more than she personally desires "a night off!" I am thrilled by her commitment, not only because her presence and her insight enhances our experience, but also because of the selfless example she portrays.When I am called away, Jill steps in to lead. And when I am finished connecting with ladies and cleaning up our area, Jill is still at church in the basement. Often times by herself, she is setting up the chairs and tables for the Weight Watchers club that uses our church the next day as well as the room for her own ladies Bible study. Tirelessly, it seems, she serves her Beloved.

Just last week, Jill and Pastor Jim ministered at the bedside of a church member who passed away after an unfathomably long battle with cancer. Jill was personally connected with this woman, and my heart ached each day as she gave us the update, knowing the prognosis. And when her friend went to her Savior's arms, Jill rallied the troops to ensure Diane's last trip to the church would be beautiful and that her family would feel loved and be well-fed. Once again, Jill was a pillar of strength and inspiration that we know comes from her relationship with the Lord.

So, as you can imagine, last night brought me great happiness each time I would look down the aisle during the concert to see Jill relaxed, smiling, and enjoying the concert. I am pretty sure she even fist-pumped a few times! The music and the testimony were moving and motivating, and I am delighted that I shared the moment with such an extraordinary woman as my friend, Jill.

Love to you all! And Jill, You rock!



 




2 comments:

  1. Jackie, you painted a perfect picture of Jill. Spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a perfect word picture, that I almost feel as if I know her now!!

    ReplyDelete