Friendships: The Better Part


"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
 Ecclesiastes 4:9-12  
 
Good Morning and Happy President's Day from sunny St Louis!

Abraham Lincoln once wrote, "The better part of one's life consists of his friendships." (letter to Joseph Gillespie, 1849) No wonder we celebrate this man and take a day off to honor him in the month of his birth; Girlfriends, he knew how important you would be to me!! Ha ha! Seriously, though, great wisdom is conveyed in Lincoln's words.

I found many definitions for the word friend, including "a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection;" "a person whom one knows, likes, and trusts;" and "a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter." I ask you, how could friendship by these definitions not make life "better?" How much sweeter is your relationship with your spouse, or other family member, if he/she is also your "friend"? And of course, when family cannot be there, what would we do without those people we call friends? What would I do without you ladies?

Today's verse from Ecclesiastes contains God's Word upon this subject. "Two are better than one..." And why? "If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up." And friends, it is guaranteed in this life that we WILL fall at one time or another. How comforting to know that we have someone standing ready to pick us up! I cannot count the times I have relied upon the strength of one of you to hoist me out of my muddy mess! Hallmark loves me because I keep coming back for yet another Thank You card!

You may laugh, but I am totally serious: just ask my friends who got not one, but two cards from the Brown family this weekend, in gratefulness for driving out to middle of the interstate to help my daughter change a flat tire. Friends, what would we do without one another? I am not only referring to the times of crisis, struggle and pain:

Joab said, “If the Arameans are too strong for me, then you are to come to my rescue; but if the Ammonites are too strong for you, then I will come to rescue you. 2 Samuel 10:11

Paul to Timothy: Do your best to come to me quickly, 2 Timothy 4:9

but also the moments of shared joy of laughter, conversation, and experiences--all the things as Lincoln says that make up "the better part." If you want to know God's plan for human friendships, please take time to read about Jonathon and David in 1 Samuel, or, my favorite, the example or Ruth and Naomi contained in the Book of Ruth.

Yet, as much as I love my family and friends, I know moments will come when the only friend who can help me is my very best Friend, Jesus Christ. His friendship is the best part of my current life and will be my sustenance in eternity. I love spending time with Him, telling Him about my love for you, Girlfriends, as well as my family and people I just met. I love taking walks with Him, spending quiet moments at sunset enjoying His artistry, and laughing over His sense of humor. My relationship with Jesus is in every aspect a friendship, a bond of mutual affection. He accepts me as I am; He is always a prayer away.

Ladies, as much as I love our moments, our friendship, Jesus loves you infinitely more, and He is reaching out to each one of you. I urge to accept His friend request! (A little Facebook humor there for those of you non-social network gals!) I am praying for you today as you read; He stands at the door knocking. Will you open up and invite Him inside?

Love to you all!






No comments:

Post a Comment