Do You Not Know?

Do you not know?
   Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary,
   they will walk and not be faint. 
Isaiah 40: 28-31(NIV)

Do you not know?


I frequently hear stories from high school students about their peers who flat out reject faith in a higher power. Whenever the topic arises, these individuals adamantly argue against the existence of a Creator and the sovereignty of a God and Savior. The Bible, they say, is just a book written by a bunch of old guys a long time ago; it absolutely is not God's infallible Word and has no validity in today's scientific and modern age. These vocal pupils apparently dominate the conversation and completely frustrate the Christians in the room as they attempt to give an account for what they believe. 

Today, I thought about "the rest"--the students in the room who remain silent during such discussions. I am inclined to believe that "the rest" are in fact the majority, whether the conversation takes place in a classroom, a break room, or in a social setting. These individuals don't necessarily agree with the vocal dissenters, yet they absolutely do not know the God that the Christians defend? So they remain silent, listening. Usually no one pays attention to the them: those in rebellion as well as the Christians are immersed in their own thoughts, emotions, and arguments. But make no mistake: the silent ones will take something away from their observation, even if it is simply a list of questions in a longing heart.

Have you not heard?

I know firsthand about "the rest" because I was once counted among their numbers. I did not know. I could not participate in the discourse, having no knowledge one way or another. So I listened, questioning and reflecting, without any understanding of the basic concepts. For years, I simply walked away from such encounters, wondering, but not motivated to seek answers on my own as I thought I had life under control. And no one I knew offered to explain it to me. Years passed, events happened, and still I had not heard the message that would save my life.

One day, in my first college course, I thought I moved from "the rest" into a new category: the enlightened. Philosophy 101 taught rational proofs for and against the existence of God. I memorized them all and fancied myself an intellectual with deep insight. In truth, these superficial arguments were based upon rules of logic and no deep interrogation of the soul. I still had not heard. No one had told me. That professor was not interested in changing hearts, only memorizing the assertions and regurgitating them on paper. I continued to journey in darkness.

I did not join the family of Christians until someone actually took the time to speak to me about her faith. Modeling Christlike behavior, I was drawn to these women who over the course of years poured gently yet steadily into me, unabashedly sharing hope, joy, security, strength, and forgiveness. Eventually, as I listened and observed, the hunger in me increased until Christ became the only satisfaction for my pangs. I fled from the darkness to the Light, and pray that I will continue to run with perseverance the race marked out for me, fixing my eyes on Jesus.(Hebrews 12:1-2)

Who will you tell?

My dear Girlfriends, to which group do you belong today? Are you in rebellion, denying the LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth? Has some hurt, tragedy, or abandonment caused you to desert your hope in the LORD? Or are you among "the rest," the majority who have not rejected Jesus but simply do not know? Is your heart crying out, "Someone please speak to me; I want to hear-I want to know?" Do you feel like Christians look upon you as an intentional sinner when truly you are not even sure what sin, redemption, rebirth, and sanctification mean?

Maybe you are a Christian, faithfully defending your Father against the attackers in your school, workplace, or community, but completely unaware of "the rest?" If so, have you been operating under the assumption that everyone knows about Jesus, or has at least heard of Him, so they must be non-believers by choice? Or perhaps you are completely absorbed in your own growth and have forgotten that someone once took the time to share the Gospel with you?

Wherever you land today, Girlfriends, lift up your face and do not be discouraged. Our God,  He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. He will lift you up to soar on wings like eagles, to run and not grow weary, to walk and not be faint. If you are struggling with doubts, His Word shows how to ask for help to overcome your unbelief (Mark 9:24) and He promises that if any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. (James 1:5)


Ladies, if you are visiting my blog and have no idea what I am talking about most of the time, I am here for you! I want you to know, to hear, to believe, to accept, and to understand the intensity with which you are loved and the plan that Love has for your life. You are not here by accident; God created you and is pursuing a relationship with you. For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16) I know you have heard that verse before. This time, let it flood your heart and drink it in--He is talking about loving YOU so much that He would DIE for YOU. God desires your eternal presence with Him; I desire your eternal presence with God. If you want to talk or pray, PLEASE write to me.

And for my Christian friends, you who have heard, who do know the joy of the Lord, I plead with you to open your eyes and look around: With whom can you share the message of salvation this week? We surely must defend against the vocal attackers of our faith. 1 Peter 3:15 directs us to be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope you have, But do this with gentleness and respect. But what about "the rest", the silent observers who cross our paths each day but never ask us for the reason? Matthew 28:19 says Go therefore and make disciples of all nations...and John 15:16 states You did not choose me; I chose you and appointed you to go and bear much fruit, the kind of fruit that endures. Is there anything more enduring than a saved soul? Girlfriends, read your Bible, close your eyes and pray, but every day lift your face and exercise your voice to speak to the silent ones who are seeking His Name. Your Master longs to say Well done, you good and faithful servant! (Matthew 25:21)


Today, Girlfriends, I am praying for each of you: to know, to hear, and to tell the Good News of Jesus Christ. Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment